This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Self employed and Relief for cars

trc
Self employed and Relief for cars

Postby trc » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:35 pm

Good Afternoon ,

I am about to rent out my property as a Landlord , it will be my only occupation. I would like to use my car for business us, I bought it in 2013 for £12,000 and valued now for about £6000.
I think I read somewhere that if I already own it I could claim the full £12,000 ?? Or do I claim for it at market rate now ?
Also what would I claim each year in allowances for it ?

Many Thanks

bd6759

Re: Self employed and Relief for cars

Postby bd6759 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:45 pm

You are not self employed, although the ruels for a property busienss are similar.

If you bring an asset into the business, it is brouht in at its market value.

All allowances and costs need to be restricted to the business proportion. For your car, this is likely to be a very small fraction because you will not use the car very much in the business. It will be more beneficial for you to deduct as an expense 45p per every business mile you travel.

trc

Re: Self employed and Relief for cars

Postby trc » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:49 pm

Many thanks for your swift reply , I am a bit new to this ,why am I not self employed as a landlord ?How you could clarify this .

Return to “Income Tax”