This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

FTCR on property showing N/A

AlbertM
FTCR on property showing N/A

Postby AlbertM » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:29 pm

Hi,

I'm doing self-assessment via the HMRC web page and I'm not convinced it has got the FTCR calculation right because it computes FTCR as zero. Looking for advice.

I have a property which earns rent, and share dividends, and some savings interest, all earned in Australia. FTCR on all three is being calculated as zero.
I have income over £200k, and pay income tax at the 'additional rate' of 45% (in case that is relevant).

Rental property: The figures for the rental property are:
  • Gross Income: £7196.00
  • Expenses: £1704.00
  • Net Income (Income-Expenses): £5492.00
  • Tax paid in Australia: £2143.00
If I select 'Y' to claim foreign tax credit relief the calculation page shows the rate of relief as 'N/A' (why?) and computes zero relief (why?).
If I select 'N' to claim foreign tax credit relief the calculation comes up with a taxable amount of £3349.00 (instead of £5492.00), and this works out about £1000 quid better for me. It also seems too good to be true. (Is it legal to select 'N'? Do I really get to choose?)

Interest: This totals £858. Foreign tax of £81 has been paid already. If I claim FTCR at 10% it computes zero tax relief. (Why?)

Dividends: These total only £423. I think zero tax has been paid on these, so I guess they show compute zero FTCR because of that?

In summary the dividends probably make sense, but I don't get the other two. Questions in red. Any advice on offer would be appreciated, as I haven't been able to get through on the HMRC helpline yet.

Return to “International Tax”