This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Backdated sale of rental property to tenant

jrfurank
Backdated sale of rental property to tenant

Postby jrfurank » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:10 am

Hello

If a landlord had a tenant since June 2013. Could he elect to backdate a change of a portion of the monthly rent to be payments on account of sale of the property to the tenant, and treat the converted rent to purchase payments, as exchange deposit received? The rational being that throughout the period of the tenancy, both the tenant and landlord had discussed the possibility of a deal, but all payments were to be treated as rent until the sale was agreed between them. A portion of the monthly payment would remain as rent crystallising a rental loss on the adjusted accounts for 2014, 2015 and 2016. If all this is allowable, would he be able to adjust the 2014 rental accounts if he does so before the end of January 2018?

bd6759

Re: Backdated sale of rental property to tenant

Postby bd6759 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:13 pm

You cannot re-write history.

jrfurank

Postby jrfurank » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:47 pm

Thank you.

But do know or have a suggestion how the transaction be reported to HMRC?

A substantial part of the payments received by the landlord is going to be the part of the consideration for the property. If there is no adjustment on the rental income, he would pay tax on the rental profit and CGT on the disposal.

Even if he debits rental income in the current year and crystallises a loss, that does not provide a true picture over the 4 or 5 year period.

bd6759

Postby bd6759 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:40 pm

The true pictur is that he rented the property for a number of years and received rental income.

He may offer a discount on the purchase price to the tenant, but that is a different matter.

someone

Postby someone » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:13 am

I think the OP is suggesting that if he sells at a discount he will crystalize a loss.

What I don't know is whether the CGT is calculated on the discounted value or the market value.

I assume this is an arms length transaction so discounted value is used.

It is unfortunate if, like most of us, the OP doesn't ever expect to make gains to use up that loss in the future. He will have paid income tax on the CGT loss.

However, SDLT is paid on the consideration. It does seem odd to me that the only reason a discounted value is being offered is because the tenant has been paying rent and the OP is effectively agreeing to treat that as capital. In any other circumstances, artificially reducing the consideration would be seen as SDLT avoidance.

Or is SDLT consideration to include the rent payments?

bd6759

Postby bd6759 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:02 am

No. He is saying that if pretends that some of the rent wasn't actually rent, he would crystalise a rental loss. Such a loss wol dbe no use to him because it woul dbe lost when th eproperty was sold (it cant be set against any other property). Its not really clear why he would want to finance this loss out of his own income. It woul dhave made much nore siencse if he said that he prentend only the rent needed to break even was rent and the rest was the sale orice in advance,

As you say, SDT would need to include the rent payments.

CGT is always based on market value. (But market value can include a discount.)

bd6759

Postby bd6759 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:04 am

With apologies. Dyslexia gets bad when I'm tired.

AdamS93

Postby AdamS93 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:54 pm

I assume that your client wants to back date the sale so that the gain is covered by PPR or just to reduce CGT.

You cannot re-write history. HMRC will look at contracts, solicitors documents and SDLT return which would've been due 30 days after sale so a mere 4 years 6 months late.

Tax planning is a proactive task, you can't wait until a problem arises before you fix it (especially 4 and a half years!).

I dare say that if he wants to back date the sale then the purchaser/tenant is a family member which will cause problems with regards to 'selling at a discount' for CGT purposes as the disposal will be deemed to take place at market value.

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”