This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Inheritance Tax on estate of non-domiciled foreign national

dubai_uae
Inheritance Tax on estate of non-domiciled foreign national

Postby dubai_uae » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:03 pm

Hello, this is probably a simple one.

My dad passed away last July and was NOT a UK Citizen.
He lived in Dubai almost all his life.
However, he has a couple of bank accounts in the UK, and is one of 3 owners of a flat there (tenancy in common) that was neither lived in nor rented out.

I have estimated his UK estate (cash and property) to be worth around GBP 435,000, i.e. chargeable estate is GBP 110,000.

Does the estate owe HRMC inheritance tax applied to GBP 110,000.

I have not been able to confirm definitively that the estates of foreign nationals living abroad are also subject to IHT.
I would be grateful if somebody here confirms this.

Many thanks.
Khalid

AGoodman

Re: Inheritance Tax on estate of non-domiciled foreign national

Postby AGoodman » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:22 am

Confirmed. IHT is always chargeable on UK assets.

Bear in mind the various exceptions and other reliefs. If any of these assets are passing to your father's widow, they will be exempt from tax. If he himself is a widower then he may be able to claim a transferable nil rate band of up to £325,000 and avoid IHT entirely. An IHT account would still have to be submitted for the latter.

dubai_uae

Re: Inheritance Tax on estate of non-domiciled foreign national

Postby dubai_uae » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:49 pm

Thank you, AGoodman, for your kind reply and the other information which was also very helpful.

Return to “Inheritance Tax, IHT, Trusts & Estates, Capital Taxes”