This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Sole Trader / Partnership Tax Query

mcgregor84
Sole Trader / Partnership Tax Query

Postby mcgregor84 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:44 pm

Hoping someone may be able to assist :)

I am currently self employed as a sole trader here in England. Turnover is around 280k. VAT registered and do all my own accounts.

My wife had been working part time 2 days a week (way under any tax threshold). She has recently joined me in my business and now works full-time with me although we do different tasks in the business.

We need to register her as self employed but we aren't sure of the best way to do it. Two sole traders? Or does it have to be a partnership? We have our first child on the way - can she be a 'stay at home mum' whilst i pay for everything, give her some spending money and she helps out a little now again as a 'wife' ? Not looking to do anything off the books, just looking for best, easiest and less tax method.

Not overly keen to go to Ltd Company - so would rather not go down that route if possible. All our paperwork is so easy at the moment, also like to keep the finances private. Have some rival competitors who would jump at the chance of finding out our public details and finances.

Thanks in advance

bd6759

Re: Sole Trader / Partnership Tax Query

Postby bd6759 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:29 am

Your wife is not self employed if he works for your business. She is an employee of the business.

You could becime a partnership if you are willing to give up a share of your business to her. Such a move might be open to challenge by HMRC as a settlement, whereby the income would remain yours.

For tax efficiency you should employ an accountant.

Return to “Business Tax”