This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

NIC for self employed pensioner

xazy
NIC for self employed pensioner

Postby xazy » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:12 am

I am 66 years old pensioner but still working as self -employed. This is my first year receiving state pension of £6,500 a year. My business income is £22000 a year.
Now I would like to ask two questions, when I submit my self assessment tax
1) do I have to pay tax for the £22,000 or for the £28,500 ?
2) do I still have to pay NIC ? since I do not need to pay any contribution towards my state pension.
Thanks

robbob

Re: NIC for self employed pensioner

Postby robbob » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:02 am

2) do I still have to pay NIC ? since I do not need to pay any contribution towards my state pension.
No - you do get charged class4 NI (full tax year year - bit of a body blow if your birthday is just after the start of the tax year :() and class 2 (up to retirement age) IN the tax year you reach pension age but after that there is nowt (well deserved nowt too !!)

On self employed pages of tax return you put a tick in box 101 to say you are exempt from class 4 in the tax year AFTER you reach retirement age.

Return to “General”