This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Sending Money to Spouse Overseas - Tax liability

anandma
Sending Money to Spouse Overseas - Tax liability

Postby anandma » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:57 pm

hi all

I am a UK resident and working in UK. My wife lives in india and indian citizen. I wanted to know, If I send money from UK to wife's indian bank account in india.
Later if she invests that money on her name e.g. shares or mutual fund , do I need to show any capital gain arises out of that in my UK tax return?

As per my understanding, as money is no longer belongs to me, I don't think I can show that capital gain on my name here in uk? but experts can provide their opinion.

I have browsed through gov.uk and didn't find any clarification. It looks like cash Gift to spouse is not taxable in the UK. But don't know if that is applicable to me.

awaiting reply from experts.

anand

pawncob

Re: Sending Money to Spouse Overseas - Tax liability

Postby pawncob » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:17 pm

No liability arises on gifts to spouses (here or in India).
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

Return to “Savings & Investments, Pensions & Retirement”