This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

direct sales to portugal

Feedback
direct sales to portugal

Postby Feedback » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:18 am

I've looked everywhere for a clear answer and can't find out.

we have a client who is UK based VAT registered and sells to the EU. The client is registered within various EU states for sales tax but not Portugal. The client usually ships in to the UK from China, pays import duties and taxes, and recovers input in the normal way.

The client's Portuguese customer has asked if the client can ship directly to Portugal from China. Now in this situation I would have thought that sales tax and duty would be paid upon entry, and as the client is not registered within Portugal this would be an extra cost to my client and therefore their customer.

Can the end customer reclaim the input VAT even though our client is not registered in Portugal? If not, the only way to achieve this would be to ship to the UK as normal and then distribute to Portugal and treat as an intra EU sale.

Return to “VAT & Excise Duties”