This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Help with taxation of loan interest when no income

robbo777
Help with taxation of loan interest when no income

Postby robbo777 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:38 pm

I retired during the tax year 2016-17, and was still a taxpayer that year. During that year I made a loan to my son and he is paying me back over 5 years with 5% interest. I also have some savings interest and it all adds up to around £2k interest per year. In the 2016-17 tax year I earned over the £11,500 personal allowance, and so I had £1k of exempt interest and paid 20% tax on the other £1k interest.

In the current tax year, 2017-18 I have no taxable income apart from the £2k interest (and the capital repayment which is not taxable), and I know at least £1k of that interest is tax free. However, as I am not being paid any money from anywhere else, will the other £1k interest be tax free as well?

Also, I read something somewhere (not on this site) about being able to have £11500 of income tax free (up to the personal allowance) plus another £5k of interest tax free. Is that right, as I thought it was just the first £1k that was tax free?

I suppose what I am asking is whether, after the first £1k, interest is fully taxable, or whether it is counted as part of your personal allowance? As you can see, I am quite confused, so any clarification would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance

pawncob

Re: Help with taxation of loan interest when no income

Postby pawncob » Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:08 pm

https://www.gov.uk/apply-tax-free-interest-on-savings
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

Return to “Savings & Investments, Pensions & Retirement”