This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Allowances

Ellie10
Allowances

Postby Ellie10 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:11 pm

I have one rental property which generates circa £6k pa

In between lets I decided to replace all 14 of the 1960's dark brown doors (in various states of disrepair) with new doors. This included built in wardrobe doors.I also had to redecorate the whole house.

Where does that go on my SA tax return pls?
I will have made a loss this year allowing for both the above.

Thanks for any help.

SteLacca

Re: Allowances

Postby SteLacca » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:55 pm

It depends. If the replacement doors represent improvement rather than simply repair (other than any incidental improvement as a consequence of using modern equivalents) then those costs will be capital costs and will not feature on your self-assessment Return. You should, however, retain details to mitigate capital gains tax on the eventual disposal of the property.

If all the work is properly repairs, then claim as a deduction against rental income.

Return to “Property Taxation”