This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Tax Free Allowance

Riddy
Tax Free Allowance

Postby Riddy » Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:55 am

I am non-resident in the UK, but receiving a pension and some investment interest in the U.K. Currently I live and work on the Greek Cypriot side of Cyprus as a full time staffer where I am paying tax as a current resident. I have been a non- resident for several years initially working in Abu Dhabi then in Cyprus from 06/16.

The question I have is when doing my UK tax 16/17, am I entitled to the Tax Free Allowance and what dictates whether I can claim it or not?

RMC

Re: Tax Free Allowance

Postby RMC » Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:58 am

Yes, as Cyprus is in the EU, the Personal Allowance should be applied to your UK income. There are very likely also other grounds for that.

Presumably you submit your UK tax returns on not-tax-resident basis, i.e. declare only your UK income and mention your Cypriot tax residency in the White Space?

maths

Postby maths » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:56 pm

If you are a British national you are automatically entitled to a Person Allowance.

If you are not, entitlement still applies if you are a national of an EEA state failing which entitlement sometimes (but not always) arises under some of the UK's treaties.

maths

Postby maths » Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:08 am

Under the UK/Cyprus double tax agreement your UK pension may well be exempt from UK tax.

Return to “Income Tax”