This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

UK IHT on UK shares

janebates
UK IHT on UK shares

Postby janebates » Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:39 pm

I have always lived in Australia and have a large portfolio of shares with a Australian broker. A number of those are UK listed shares - HSBC, RTZ and Shell for example. As I am getting older I am reviewing my will etc, and was surprised when my cousin (ex accountant) suggested I get advice, as he thought my estate might have to pay UK Inheritance Tax on those UK shares when I die. Is that correct? Any pointers gratefully received.

AdamS93

Re: UK IHT on UK shares

Postby AdamS93 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:58 pm

Potentially yes. All UK assets fall within charge to UK inheritance tax regardless of your domicile.

However, in the UK there is a nil rate band (NRB) of £325,000 meaning you will only pay inheritance tax if the value of your UK assets exceed the £325,000 nil rate band.

janebates

Re: UK IHT on UK shares

Postby janebates » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:46 am

Dear AdamS93,
Thank you for your reply which confirmed what I had feared. Yes, my UK share investments are above £325,000, so I may need to sell these down. Would the UK tax authorities ever find out if I had UK shares when I died though? I have lived in Australia for much of my life, and have no ties to the UK.

Return to “Inheritance Tax, IHT, Trusts & Estates, Capital Taxes”