This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

P45 / started checklist

keyboard80
P45 / started checklist

Postby keyboard80 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:21 pm

Hi Guys

Thank you for having me on your forum.

Hoping for some clarification

I have requested my p45 from my previous employer but am having a nightmare receiving.

I start a new job on Monday and my new employer has requested my p45 (if available).

I’m guessing I’ll have to fill in a starter checklist.

I read that I can send in my p45 direct to the tax office but can’t do that as I haven’t received.

I wondered what information they will receive from HMRC once they receive the started checklist/p46?

Ideally I would like my finish date, salary, & income to remain confidential.

Thank you in advance for your help.

keyboard80

Re: P45 / started checklist

Postby keyboard80 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:27 pm

Hey guys,

Can anyone offer any advice?

Thanks in advance

robbob

Postby robbob » Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:46 pm

Hello keyboard80

Apologies for everyone ignoring you up to now.
I’m guessing I’ll have to fill in a starter checklist.
Yes in the absence of the P45 you should indicate this is your only job and that you have previously worked this tax year.

Then once you have been paid and the payslip has been processed ring hmrc and ask them to split the code as best suits you.

SteLacca

Postby SteLacca » Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:01 pm

HMRC won't reveal your leaving date, but they are likely to report your year to date pay and tax figures, which whilst not providing anything definitive, would, with one additional piece of information, enable someone to hazard a reasonable guess at annual salary.

The only way to avoid this would be to request that HMRC ensure that your tax code remains on a week 1/month 1 basis for the remainder of this tax year.

keyboard80

Postby keyboard80 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:34 am

HMRC won't reveal your leaving date, but they are likely to report your year to date pay and tax figures, which whilst not providing anything definitive, would, with one additional piece of information, enable someone to hazard a reasonable guess at annual salary.

The only way to avoid this would be to request that HMRC ensure that your tax code remains on a week 1/month 1 basis for the remainder of this tax year.
Thanks SteLacca!

How do I request HMRV to do a week 1 / month 1 basis?

SteLacca

Postby SteLacca » Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:19 pm

Give them a ring - 0300 200 3300

Return to “PAYE and Payroll Taxes, National Insurance, NICs”