This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

PPR Election question.

someone
PPR Election question.

Postby someone » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:36 pm

I'm about to make a PPR election (with my wife) in favour of a residence we bought in August last year.

However, it occurs to me that it might make sense to make some other elections at the same time:

We married in May last year. Should we *both* make a CGT election (our residences didn't change) or will my existing CGT election from before marriage suffice? (My wife owns no beneficial interest in either residence we had at marriage)

Does my wife get PPR for the period we're married if I transfer a share of one of the residences to her in the future (even if it's not a residence at the time I do the transfer)?

someone

Re: PPR Election question.

Postby someone » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:32 am

Found this:

https://www.taxation.co.uk/Articles/2012/02/01/35091/spouse%E2%80%99s-transfer

So no, my wife doesn't get PPR.

I guess for the other question we can say we don't want my PPR election to change on marriage. I suspect it doesn't anyway but we're in time to make an election if it did.

maths

Postby maths » Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:30 pm

If prior to marriage your subsequent wife did not have a beneficial interest in a residence then no need for a joint election to be made post marriage.

If she did, then a joint election needs to be made post marriage.

No PPR for wife if at time of transfer the property was not your main/sole residence.

someone

Postby someone » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:49 pm

Thanks. I'll get our letter sent tonight.

Return to “Property Taxation”