This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

IHT on UK shares

janebates
IHT on UK shares

Postby janebates » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:32 pm

I have always lived in Australia and have a large portfolio of shares with a Australian broker. A number of those are UK listed shares - HSBC, RTZ and Shell for example. As I am getting older I am reviewing my will etc, and was surprised when my cousin (ex accountant) suggested I get advice, as he thought my estate might have to pay UK Inheritance Tax on those shares when I die. Is that correct?

maths

Re: IHT on UK shares

Postby maths » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:17 pm

Registered shares possess a situs in the UK (and hence within the charge to inheritance tax) if they are registered there.

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”