This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

3% Stamp Duty Surcharge

chrissx
3% Stamp Duty Surcharge

Postby chrissx » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:54 pm

I have sold my house and now own no properties. I want to buy a small flat to live in while I look for the house I want to become my main residence after which I will use the flat as an investment. Is the surcharge always based on the second property you buy? Obviously I would prefer it based on the flat as the purchase price will be considerably less.

bd6759

Re: 3% Stamp Duty Surcharge

Postby bd6759 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:23 pm

The surcharge will be payabe when you acquire a second property. The exemption that applies when you replace a residence is lost as soon as buy another dwelling.

SDLT Geek

Postby SDLT Geek » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:37 pm

Will the flat be bought in England? Or in Wales completing after 1 April 2018 when the rules are different?

I do not consider the answer to be as simple as bd6759 suggests. It is likely to turn on issues of intention and the meaning of "residence" which involves a degree of permanence and expectation of continuity.

Potentially both purchases could escape the higher rates. It seems clear that the first purchase will escape the surcharge (unless in Wales from 1 April when it could be caught as an intermediate transaction).

someone

Postby someone » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:26 am

I agree with SDLT geek that I don't think this is clear cut.

If there wasn't the SDLT question then, instead, the discussion would be on whether there's PPR and RLR available on selling the flat.

ISTM that either there is SDLT uplift on the second property but PPR and RLR available on an eventual sale of the flat or:
Both get standard rate SDLT but the short period of occupation of the flat doesn't trigger the CGT reliefs on eventual sale.

But I haven't gone back to check whether the the replacing main home exception is stopped by the purchase of a property or only of a main residence. If the former then the 3% uplift is always due.

bd6759

Postby bd6759 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:00 pm

I have gone back to check and agree that relief may be due.

The replacement condition at 3(6)(d):
at no time during the period beginning with the effective date of the previous transaction and ending with the effective date of the transaction concerned has the purchaser or the purchaser's spouse or civil partner acquired a major interest in any other dwelling with the intention of it being the purchaser's only or main residence.
It all depends on whether the flat can be regarded as a residence. If it is not a residence then the next purchase will be a replacement for the old one (provided it is within 3 years: but the longer it takes the more likely the flat will be a residence). If it is a replacement, the extra 3% does not apply.

It's also worth noting that if the flat is a residence you will get CGT reliefs when you sell it. If it is not a residence, you won't.

Return to “Stamp Duty, Stamp Duty Land Tax, SDLT”