This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Income Tax reclaim......

Sepoy
Income Tax reclaim......

Postby Sepoy » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:57 pm

I finished work in August 2016, and haven’t worked since, completed my self assessment in April 2017 and my tax affairs seemed to be in order.

However, my employer owed me a payment, that wasn’t received until summer 2017, which was paid minus emergency tax. I haven’t received any other earned income in this tax year.

I informed HMRC of the overpayment and after a few days the web site says they have sent me a reply….none has been received by post/e-mail, etc. I phoned them up and they said they would send me a copy of the letter…..none has been received!

Is there anyway I can get my repayment sorted out, or do I have to wait until April, and then complete another self assessment form for the year 2017/18?

SteLacca

Re: Income Tax reclaim......

Postby SteLacca » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:12 pm

Do you have any other income at all (e.g. JSA, UC etc.)? If you do then it should be handled via that, though in all likelihood will have to wait until after 5/4.

If you have no other income at all, and I assume you have a P45 in respect of the later payment, you can claim on form P50 at https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/income-tax-claiming-tax-back-when-you-have-stopped-working-p50.

Sepoy

Re: Income Tax reclaim......

Postby Sepoy » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:38 pm

Thanks for the reply, SteLacca, I don’t actually have any other earned income this year, only infrequent dividend payments from UK listed shares.

No, I haven’t actually got a P45 for the payment last summer, the last one I received was after I finished working, in August 2016.

Return to “Income Tax”