This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Split Year Treatment

Listlad
Split Year Treatment

Postby Listlad » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:27 am

Hi. I have returned to the U.K. to live and work part time only (31st August 2017) having lived and worked in IOM for 7 years.

Would I qualify for split year treatment? I.e. would each country of residence tax me as if I had only been in each respective country for part of the tax year?

Or. Would I have to pay tax in the U.K. for money earned while living and working in IOM earlier in the tax year?

Thanks.

maths

Re: Split Year Treatment

Postby maths » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:44 pm

You fist need to be UK resident for 2017/18 which you will be if you are in the UK for 183 days or more.

The relevant Split Year Cases to look at are Case 4 and 8 (Case 6 ceasing full-time work overseas cannot be satisfied).

Listlad

Postby Listlad » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:13 pm

Thanks Maths.

We bought a home in the U.K. towards end of June 2017. But only my wife moved in on that date. I followed near the end of August when my work in IOM ceased.

Would that be Case 4 or 8? Or would it matter?

maths

Postby maths » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:04 pm

Both Cases appear to apply and neither has priority on the info' provided.

In part, it depends on what happens in tax year 2018-19.

Return to “Income Tax”