This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Blogging and web publishing company non taxable expenses

tababar
Blogging and web publishing company non taxable expenses

Postby tababar » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:01 pm

Suppose there is a company which do web designing and also manage 2 or 3 blogs under the same company (company owned blogs). Now suppose both my spouse and I work as directors of the company and also work in full time jobs. [Our PAYE is different from company tax as we are not freelancer but trying to establish a new company with no salary as directors]

1. If there is a travel blog and we need to travel to get content for the blog. Is travel expense can be considered as expense before tax.

2. If we buy equipment for company such as laptops/tablets/cameras required for blogging as well as other operations such as website designing and publishing, will it also be considered as company expense.

Most of the info online deals with bloggers as freelance self employed people so taxation is different. But i want an advise from a company's point of view.

bd6759

Re: Blogging and web publishing company non taxable expenses

Postby bd6759 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:34 pm

The profits of a trade are calculated in much the same way, whether it is an individual or a company.

I'm not sure if HMRC will agree that going on a jolly a couple of times a year and writing about it will amount to a trade. You need to generate income in order to deduct epxenses from it. If the income does not exceed the expense you are losing money. Even if the acitvity does amount to a trade, it is not commercial, therefore the losses cannot be set against any other profits.

Then there is also the personal tax headache of the company meeting expenses of, or providing a benefit to, the employee.

Return to “Business Tax”