This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Property purchase as main or second home

cyclist1
Property purchase as main or second home

Postby cyclist1 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:35 pm

Hi, I live in Scotland and I am in the process of purchasing a property which was originally a flat above a row of shops but has been used for the past 20+ years as a commercial office. It is currently vacant and my intention is to convert it back to a private residence. To do this will require extensive renovation work.
To make the purchase I will either, (a) sell my main (only) home and fund it through the proceeds of the sale, or (b) keep my home and fund it through savings I have accrued . My taxation related queries are:
1. I am aware that if I follow route (b) will I have to pay LBTT (Stamp Duty) bearing in mind that the property is currently a commercial office not a private residence?
2. Presumably I will have to pay vat on the work I get done and on the materials etc. that I purchase. I understand that I can reclaim this if follow route (a). Can I still make a reclaim if I follow route (b)? At what rate will I have to pay vat, 20% or 5% or what?
3. If I follow route (b) and then sell the renovated flat post completion am I liable for CGT on any profit I make? If so, what rate would I pay? I am aged 61 and retired but have no pension (or other) income until I reach 65.
4. If I rent out the renovated flat is it correct that I am liable for income tax on any rental income above the personal allowance threshold?
Many thanks

bd6759

Re: Property purchase as main or second home

Postby bd6759 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:23 am

1. Yes. LBTT is payable.

2. Vat is payable. It can be reclaimed if the project is for your home. That would not be the case in the event of 3. or 4.

3. Either CGT or income tax will be payable of the gain or profit. It depends on the circumstances.

4. Yes, the profits are taxable.

cyclist1

Postby cyclist1 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:31 am

Many thanks for your response bd6759.

Re point 2, (vat) so, for clarity, if I renovate the new property then move into it and rent out my current home I would be able to reclaim vat on the renovation costs, is this correct? At what rate is vat payable? I had heard 5% but can't find substantiation of this.

Kind regards

cyclist1

bd6759

Postby bd6759 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:34 am

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=vat+reclaim+renovation&oq=vat+reclaim

cyclist1

Postby cyclist1 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:11 pm

Hi. If I renovate the new property, move into it and then sell my main home, is there any tax to pay on the sale of my main home or would tax (CGT?) only be payable on any profit made on a subsequent sale of the new property?

Thanks

bd6759

Postby bd6759 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:10 pm

You do not pay CGT on any profit or gain derived from selling a dwelling that has been your only or main residence throughout the period of owership.

cyclist1

Postby cyclist1 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:33 am

Thank you bd6759.

Return to “Property Taxation”