This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Deed of Trust Validity on Divorse

Martintaxes
Deed of Trust Validity on Divorse

Postby Martintaxes » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:34 pm

Hi,
My wife and myself have four rental properties, and their mortgages will close out over the coming 5 years. All of the them have trust deeds associated with them for income tax reasons, with a 1% beneficial ownership for me and a 99% for my wife. This was done as I'm a high rate tax payer, and TD copies were submitted with Form 17 to HMRC at property purchase. I just wondered what the situation would be if we divorced as there was no specific clause in their to say it will revert back to 50/50 ownership, should the situation ever arise. We have no children or other family joint commitments.
Many thanks,
Martin.

bd6759

Re: Deed of Trust Validity on Divorse

Postby bd6759 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:59 am

Your wife owns 99% of the properties. That is what the DoT says. Your wife can sell the properties and keep 99% of the proceeds if she wishes.

A DoT is not a tax wheeze. It is a deed stating who owns the property, and the tax consequences will follow the ownership.

Return to “Property Taxation”