This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Capital Allowance/AIA Question - What Can I Claim Below?

milkyc
Capital Allowance/AIA Question - What Can I Claim Below?

Postby milkyc » Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:13 am

Hi

I would like some advice just to clear a little confusing as new to tax returns.

I am a sole trader wedding videographer.

I am aware that the following can be put down as expenses.

CLIENTS BLANK DVDS
POSTAGE COSTS
BATTERIES
WEBSITE DOMAIN COSTS
FACEBOOK ADVERTS COST
BUBBLE WRAP

And I believe I am correct in thinking that I can put down the following within my AIA.

Sony £1200 camera
Sony £600 LENS
Laptop £1200
LED £200 Studio Lights

But where can these smaller in between items be placed (if anywhere) when completing my tax return.

AA BATTERY CHARGER
USB CHARGER CABLE
NEW COMPUTER MOUSE
Laptop Sleeve
IPAD HOLDER
LARGE CAMERA EQUIPMENT BAG
6 gang extension cable

I just require some confirmation or if I'm missing something completley?

Thanks!

Mike

pawncob

Re: Capital Allowance/AIA Question - What Can I Claim Below?

Postby pawncob » Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:07 pm

Consumables should always be treated as revenue items. Some items fall between two stools and it's all down to cost. If it's a long term asset and it costs over (say) £200 then it might be capital. It's a judgement call. Everything in your last list I would charge to Repairs & Renewals.
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

pawncob

Re: Capital Allowance/AIA Question - What Can I Claim Below?

Postby pawncob » Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:07 pm

Consumables should always be treated as revenue items. Some items fall between two stools and it's all down to cost. If it's a long term asset and it costs over (say) £200 then it might be capital. It's a judgement call. Everything in your last list I would charge to Repairs & Renewals.
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

Return to “Income Tax”