This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Garden Build - CGT, Income Tax, CT or Other ?

Mantis
Garden Build - CGT, Income Tax, CT or Other ?

Postby Mantis » Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:00 pm

Hi All

Mantas here from Southampton.

I have a large garden and wish to build one or two properties. Assuming I get the relevant planning permission for 1 or 2 dwellings, I wish to understand my tax liability. I have been doing some reading online and have found this to be a potential minefield.

The following scenarios

1) Sell the land with permission

The land is way less than 1.2 acres. If I continue to reside in main residence and the land is valued at around £100k. Will it be the case that no CGT is due, however once the funds deposited this will form part of my personal tax liability if so what will this be taxed at?

2) Sell the land through a ltd company

Same scenario as above but the land is transferred to a ltd company. The proceeds will be with ltd company. Again, will it be the case that the ltd company will be taxed according to corporation tax, then once the funds are withdrawn the relevant person will be taxed on dividends and income?

3) Self-build

For instance lets say I build the house, and sell it on straight away, and it sells for £290k, my total costs are £220k, leaving £70k of ‘profit’ if these where withdrawn directly would they be liable to CGT/Income tax? Could I also reclaim all the VAT as it will be a new build?

Apologies, my knowledge is very limited in this area.
😊

bd6759

Re: Garden Build - CGT, Income Tax, CT or Other ?

Postby bd6759 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:11 pm

Wow. Lots if issues.

First - when you talk about land, do you mean all of the land, or just the part of your garden that you intent to lose?

What is the total size of all of the land, including the land upon which your residence sits and the garden you intend to keep?

Return to “General”