This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Can I offset rent I pay against rental income on a property I rent out?

DClarke
Can I offset rent I pay against rental income on a property I rent out?

Postby DClarke » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:17 pm

May I ask you experts to please help with the following:

An individual owns a house (with a mortgage) they lived in the house as their main residence. They wish to start a property renting business by renting the house to tenants.

In order to start this property renting business they need to vacate the property and therefore rent a flat for themselves to live in.

Would the monthly rental payment they make for the flat be considered a deductible expense against the income from renting out the house? I'm guessing not - but in light of the changes around mortgages on rented properties - I wonder if this is a legitimate way of looking at things?

Looking forward to your replies :) Thank you very much in advance.

Kind regards

David

RMC

Re: Can I offset rent I pay against rental income on a property I rent out?

Postby RMC » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:01 pm

No. But the individual could start letting business by renting a part of the house to the other person.

Return to “Property Taxation”