This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Do i have to pay a tax

headache
Do i have to pay a tax

Postby headache » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:56 pm

Hi back in 1996 my Father bought a house for me as he said he owed it to me for the things that I had done for him in the past. He wrote a letter out and gave it to me saying
its a gift to me. I paid the solicitors fee for the purchase of the property and moved into the house . my Father has his own house and has never lived at this house but he did not put the house in my name.
He said that I should now put it in my name will I have to pay any type of tax on it as I have lived here since 1996.
whats the best way to sort this out please.
Thanks for any Advice
Dom

maths

Re: Do i have to pay a tax

Postby maths » Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:26 pm

At the date of the original purchase the property should have been registered in your name, not your father's.

However, it seems arguable that your father as registered owner has held the property as bare trustee for you. In which case all that is now necessary is to transfer the registered ownership from his name to yours.

No tax implications.

headache

Re: Do i have to pay a tax

Postby headache » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:32 pm

Thank you for your help
Dom

Return to “Property Taxation”