This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Does Bed and breakfast rule apply. Non resident ?

keefryan
Does Bed and breakfast rule apply. Non resident ?

Postby keefryan » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:16 pm

Hi. A bit of a strange situation that I hope to clarify. I will be leaving the uk to become non resident on 5 April 2018 , I will inform hmrc with form P85.
I hold some crypto currency as an investment during this tax year 2017/2018 I intend to sell all of my holdings on the 5th April 2018 to crystallise my closing positions in cash to provide an accurate calculation for my gains , I accept and will pay the CGT for this year. however I would like to purchase a similar crypto currency back on the 7th April 2018 as I will be a non resident ,its my understanding is that this has several benefits including (A) No capital Gains to pay in the uk upon return to the uk after the first year of no residency because the asset was obtained whist being a non resident (B) Exempt from the 5 year rule for the same reason . I will be residing in a country with no capital gains liability .
However does this also mean that the 30 day bed and breakfast rule is non applicable.?

Thanks for any advice. KR

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”