This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

paye

fluefinder
paye

Postby fluefinder » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:06 pm

Hi
I have just received a letter from HMRC stating they will not pay my refund of £980 because in the years 1999-2003 penalties were put on my account for not returning SA forms. I went to Croydon tax office back in 2003 with 150 or more pay slips and 4 x P60's which covered all these years and had my correct address on them. It was agreed that no tax was owing but I should have informed HMRC of my change of address. This was an error on my part but you would assume they would update thier systems from the year 1999 when my end of year P60 was submitted. No problem though 2-3 weeks later I received a letter from HMRC stating their records had been updated and the amount I owed was £0. (Great). I have had many dealings with HMRC over the years and this was never bought up before. All my rebates have been paid on time without delay, now 15 years later they tell me these penalties are still on their system and with interest now amounts to £1350 of which my £980 will be kept as part payment of this amount. Obviously 15 years later I do not have the letter stating £0. Has anyone else had this problem and where do I go from here.
Thanks in advance.

SteLacca

Re: paye

Postby SteLacca » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:40 pm

I hope that you still have the letter confirming your tax position. If so, write to HMRC and ask them to withdraw the requirement to file under TMA 1970 S8B on the grounds that no tax was payable and so no obligation to notify arose under TMA 1970 S7. Support this with a copy of the letter.

As far as I know, there is no limitation on S8B. If HMRC agree, then the penalties will be cancelled.

fluefinder

Re: paye

Postby fluefinder » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:30 pm

Thanks for the info. I am still waiting for a reply to my letter. After 15years I do not have any evidence that a meeting took place at the tax office and their letter even existed. It seems I only can go back 7 years with any tax issue with supporting evidence, but hmrc can go back as far as they like with only a computer screen saying it is still owing. I will update when I get their reply.
Thanks again.

Return to “PAYE and Payroll Taxes, National Insurance, NICs”