This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

What’s the most tax efficient way for an expat to save for retirement?

samuzza

Postby samuzza » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:25 pm

I want to invest in low-cost passive funds (e.g. Vanguard ETFs).

I’m British, but working in Thailand. I don’t know whether I’ll be retiring in the UK or Thailand.

Currently I have an overseas account (execution only) with SVS Securities in London. I invest in Vanguard ETFs.

Is this a good way to save for retirement?

My concerns are 1) If I retire in Thailand, would I have to pay taxes in the UK and Thailand if I sell securities in the UK and then transfer the money to Thailand?

2) If retire in the UK, will I have to pay taxes when I start using my portfolio for my retirement?

Ideally I’d like to have an ISA, but as an expat I can’t. Is there anything similar to an ISA for an expat?

Are there better ways to go about saving for my retirement than what I’m doing at the moment?

I plan to get some advice from a tax advisor soon, but doing some groundwork first to get my head around things.

Also, how much should I be paying for tax advice? I’m a newbie to this stuff. Hope my post is clear.

Cheers for any advice in advance.

Return to “Savings & Investments, Pensions & Retirement”