This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Reclaiming (additional 3%) SDLT on new house purchase

smiley111
Reclaiming (additional 3%) SDLT on new house purchase

Postby smiley111 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:00 pm

Hi

I'd be grateful if someone might be able to give me a bit of advice regarding Stamp duty

I have owned my own home for nearly 3 yrs, I recently got planning permission for a new house in the side garden, I intend to sell the 'side garden' in the next few months and then sell the remaining house after that. From my research I believe this will be 100% covered by PPR relief.

I bought a new home in January and am living between the two houses. I've paid the additional 3% stamp duty on that purchase.

My question is regarding how I go about reclaiming that 3% stamp duty and the timescales, Is reclaiming the stamp duty only available after sale of my old home? and hence do I need to be mindful of timescales with regard to disposal of my old home etc. and how do I actually go about reclaiming the stamp duty

i'd be grateful for any clarification/pointer in this matter, or if there are ay other points i should be mindful of.

Thanks

maths

Re: Reclaiming (additional 3%) SDLT on new house purchase

Postby maths » Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:11 pm

See:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/stamp-duty-land-tax-apply-for-a-repayment-of-the-higher-rates-for-additional-properties

Can reclaim on-line or by post.

Must sell former residence within 3 years of new purchase.

Claim must be lodged

maths

Postby maths » Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:13 pm

Accidentally pressed send button!

Claim must be lodged within 3 months of sale of former residence.

smiley111

Postby smiley111 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:04 am

Thankyou :) :)

Return to “Property Taxation”