This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Employed or Self Employed someone shine a light.

Lockwood
Employed or Self Employed someone shine a light.

Postby Lockwood » Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:59 pm

Excuse me if this question has been asked but the more I read the more confused I become.

I own a few properties I rent out - I gave the running of the properties to a relative.
He has 2 jobs , fast food outlet and supermarket staff (zero hours plus FT contract - these can be as much as 50 hours per week). I engaged him on a self employed basis. I have used the HMRC tool regarding ststus.
Reading elsewhere, just snippets, there have been coomments that if I am the only client then the person should be employed. Given the previous commitments there is little scope for him to take more work on.
There is no mention of how many clients someone must have to move from 1 status to another in the HMRC status tool.
I have completed it honestly but this doubt lingefs. Can anyone clarify this.

Thanking all contributors in advance.

pawncob

Re: Employed or Self Employed someone shine a light.

Postby pawncob » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:37 pm

Did you us this one?
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/check-employment-status-for-tax

Looks like he's employed.
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

Lockwood

Re: Employed or Self Employed someone shine a light.

Postby Lockwood » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:08 am

Yes - can you explain.
I completed it on the basis of as an end client-

Has the person been engaged - yes
Basis - sole trader (not a company or partnership)
Office holder duties - No
Subssstitute helpers - Not happened as yet but would accept ( viewings / check in etc)
Would he have to pay for this - yes

Status tool - self employed

Return to “Property Taxation”