This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Working in the UK as self-employed but non-resident

jackf89
Working in the UK as self-employed but non-resident

Postby jackf89 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:33 pm

I'm not a UK resident and live in other EU country where I am self employed. However, this tax year I visited my girlfriend in the UK regularly and spent several months in the UK (around 2 months in total so not enough to be resident). I just need my computer to work so I can work from anywhere and my clients are world-wide and don't care where I am.

Even though I'm not resident in the UK, I assume I have to declare the earnings I made while I was working from the UK.

1) Is this correct? I know double taxation treaties will apply so I can declare the tax I paid in my home country

2) Do I have to register as self-employed in the UK?

I'd actually like to register so I can pay class 2 NI and get more years (I used to live in the UK in the past for a few years). But can I register as self-employed when I'm not a UK resident?

maths

Re: Working in the UK as self-employed but non-resident

Postby maths » Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:43 pm

Depending upon where you are resident it is highly likely that between that country and the UK (if there is a DTA) that any UK source profits will not be subject to UK tax unless you operate in the from a fixed base which seems unlikely.

Even in the absence of a DTA a UK tax exposure seems unlikely.

Return to “Business Tax”