This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Liferent CGT

jlc80
Liferent CGT

Postby jlc80 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:11 pm

Facts

I am one of three sibings
My father died January 2013 (Scotland)
His will left his property to his wife, our stepmother
With her agreement, we amended the will (deed of variation Feb 2014) changing the title to myself and my two siblings, with my fathers wife having liferent interest in the property, and agreement that should she wish/need to move house, we would buy the (new) house, sell the original house, and provide liferent in the new property
The original property was valued at 275k around the time of deed of variation in Feb 2014 (we felt this was low at the time but didnt have any need to challenge)
We have now purchased a new property into which my stepmother has moved (30 Oct 2017); we (three siblings) paid 190k. We funded the purchase from savings with the intention of recouping those outgoings when the property was sold
We have now sold the original property (valuation late 2017 was 315k by same surveyors who undertook the original survey, see above); the original property actually sold for 381k; completion will be April 2018

Can you advise on position re CGT please

AGoodman

Re: Liferent CGT

Postby AGoodman » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:32 am

Assuming stepmother has no other homes, it should be fully covered by PPR. The trustees must claim the relief in their tax return.

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”