This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Letting relief

Razariz
Letting relief

Postby Razariz » Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:23 am

Hi there, wonder if someone could help me. I have owned my main residence since 2011. We got married in 2012 and she moved in as well. Now the property and mortgage has always been under my name. We are now thinking to move to a bigger house and let this one out. My question is if I add my wife to this existing property as she is a low rate tax payer, I will have tax benefit in rental income. Howvever, with regards to CGT, would there be any Benifit or loss if we decide to sell the house in 5years? Also if I add my wife’s name to the property, would we be able to claim letting relief for both of us individually? If yes,then do I have to add her name first and then after that remortgage this property into a BTL or shall I add her name at the time as I am remortgaging it into a BTL? If so,would she still get the letting relief?

Many Thanks In Advance :)

bd6759

Re: Letting relief

Postby bd6759 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:37 pm

You need to give your wife a share of the house whilst it is still her residence. If you do that, she "inherits" your history and both residence and letting relief will be due when it is sold.

maths

Postby maths » Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:44 pm

Whilst i agree that any transfer should take place whilst the residence qualifies as a sole/main residence of both of you the transferee spouse will not inherit any lettings relief.

Razariz

Postby Razariz » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:17 am

Thanks you both for the replies.

So you mean she wouldn’t qualify for the letting relief but will do for CGT relief? Also can you please clarify why wouldn’t she qualify for letting relief?

Many Thanks

bd6759

Postby bd6759 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:22 pm

She will qualify for lettings relief. Maths said that she would not inherit any from her husband, but she does not need to. She will acquire it in her own right.

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”