This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Property in trust qualify for main residence allowance?

AGoodman
Re: Property in trust qualify for main residence allowance?

Postby AGoodman » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:16 am

...but in these particular circumstances that wouldn't help you.

There is a clause which provides that a gift to an individual descendent which is a gift with reservation can still count for the RNRB but I don't think it can be used here.

green_post

Postby green_post » Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:32 pm

Many thanks for all your input on this.

From what you've all said it doesn't look too promising.

It feels like this was mis-sold, do people have much success in making complaints in this area? Would a complaint slow down the process of winding up the estate?

Apologies if I'm veering off-topic.

maths

Postby maths » Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:30 pm

As AGoodman comments above, if the gift (with reservation) had been to a lineal descendant (which it wasn't) the RNRB would in principle have been available.

green_post

Postby green_post » Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:56 pm

Just to be totally clear, you're saying this wouldn't qualify as a gift (with reservation) because one of us (either my sister or I) would have to be named specifically? Both of us being beneficiaries of the trust isn't sufficient?

I'm just trying to understand the criteria for this.

maths

Postby maths » Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:13 pm

If the gift by the deceased is a gift with reservation then the RNRB will be available on death only if the recipient of the gift (the donee) was a lineal descendant of the deceased; the donee was the trustees of a discretionary trust.

green_post

Postby green_post » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:05 pm

Ok, that's clear.

Thanks for all your advice.

AGoodman

Postby AGoodman » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:48 pm

On the complaints point, you have two problems:

1. You need somebody to complain to. If a solicitor or accountant, you could complain to a professional body without too much difficulty. Other advisers may or may not have a professional body and some will not have the same teeth or resources and infrastructure to take action.

2. From a damages standpoint, the RNRB did not exist as a concept when the advice was given so it is nigh impossible to establish that the loss was foreseeable when the advice was given - an ingredient of a full legal claim and probably required to obtain compensation beyond fees from professional bodies as well. If you are just going for fees, it is a substantial risk to take in order to recover a relatively small sum.

Return to “Inheritance Tax, IHT, Trusts & Estates, Capital Taxes”