This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Tax on performance unit payment in USD

rdb72
Tax on performance unit payment in USD

Postby rdb72 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:01 pm

I've received a payment in USD following the buyout of my employer - the company is based in the US and I work in the UK office. I didn't pay for the units, they were vested over a period of time.

Having being advised it would be in USD, I opened a USD account to avoid fees and my Bank's forex rates. The account is effectively offshore as part of the Bank's international wing.

My question is what tax will I need to pay, and when. I've read that it's income tax, CGT, etc.

I don't plan to spend the money for at least a year at which point I assume the money becomes 'onshore' when it converts to GBP.

Any other guidance on how to minimise the tax impact would be most appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

rdb72

Return to “International Tax”