This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

SIPP contributions and US tax

jason13
SIPP contributions and US tax

Postby jason13 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:05 pm

This is more of a US tax question but I'm hoping David will see this post. ;)

When you leave the UK, you can continue paying £2,880 into a pension for 5 years and you'll get £720 from HMRC. The question is whether this contribution to a UK SIPP decreases your taxable income in the US ("AGI").

Article 18 of the UK-US treaty seems pretty clear:
2. Where an individual who is a member or beneficiary of, or participant in, a pension scheme established in a Contracting State exercises an
employment or self-employment in the other Contracting State: a) contributions paid by or on behalf of that individual to the pension scheme during the period that he exercises an employment or self-employment in the other State shall be deductible (or excludable) in computing his taxable income in that other State;
Then there's the question whether you have to file Form 8833 to make use of the treaty benefit. I don't know the general answer but in this case (someone on a J-1 as a researcher/teacher), the answer would appear to be no. https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/claiming-tax-treaty-benefits says: "You do not have to file Form 8833 for any of the following situations: [...] 2) You claim a treaty exemption that reduces or modifies the taxation of income from dependent personal services".

All of this suggests you can put the SIPP contribution as a negative amount on line 21 of the 1040.

But when I tried to research this online, it seems there's a lot of confusion and disagreement on how to handle contributions to a UK pension scheme (most of what I found was from US persons living in the UK though whereas here we have a nonresident alien in the US paying into a UK scheme).

Return to “International Tax”