This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Double taxation treaty between UK and Ireland for Australian citizen

justin1972
Double taxation treaty between UK and Ireland for Australian citizen

Postby justin1972 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:47 am

Hi there,

I am currently working in the UK and thinking of moving to Ireland but hoping to continue working remotely for my UK based company for 3-4 months. After this time I am hoping to find work locally. I understand that there is a Double Taxation Treaty between the UK and Ireland but my specific query is related to my visa status surrounding this. I am Australian and have Indefinite Leave to Remain in the UK. Does the Treaty cover me if I am a non-citizen of either the UK and Ireland? Would I be liable for tax in both countries?

Many help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Justin

maths

Re: Double taxation treaty between UK and Ireland for Australian citizen

Postby maths » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:08 pm

Residency determines whether an individual can take advantage of a double tax treaty.

Thus whether you are UK or Irish resident in a tax year dictates how the treaty will and apply.

Return to “International Tax”