This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Selling Parents Home Which Is Making Use Of The RNRB

Ration_Book
Selling Parents Home Which Is Making Use Of The RNRB

Postby Ration_Book » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:17 pm

I should be pleased if any readers of this forum could offer me their views on a situation.

My elderly parents own their own house. It is valued at £750k. Currently it is not exposed to any IHT due the fact their allowance is 325k plus 325k plus the 2 RNRB 125k plus 125k making a total of £900k.

If their property is sold and they decide to go into a senior living rented accommodation during 2018 and 2 deaths were to occur, would their threshold remain at the current £900k or would it be reduced back to the original £650k ?

I thought the answer to this question would be an easy one, but so far, after asking 3 different Independent Advisors (All of whom have access to a technical support department) & much time spent Googling I have not received a confident answer !

Thank you.

maths

Re: Selling Parents Home Which Is Making Use Of The RNRB

Postby maths » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:03 pm

Assume parents own the property equally and sell it and each die without owning a residence in 2018/19 tax year. Assuming each spouse left up to £125k to a lineal descendant each spouse would get the £125 RNRB. If one spouse left their estate to the surviving spouse and the latter left £250k to a lineal descendant the surviving spouse would get the £250k RNRB.

In short as neither spouse owns a residence at death assets left to lineal descendants must equal the RNRB if the full amount is to be claimed.

Ration_Book

Re: Selling Parents Home Which Is Making Use Of The RNRB

Postby Ration_Book » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:36 pm

Thank you.

Parents have been married 60 years. Mirrored Wills & their children are equal beneficiaries.

Return to “Inheritance Tax, IHT, Trusts & Estates, Capital Taxes”