This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Tax on shares when director leaving

KawasakiZ650F1.
Tax on shares when director leaving

Postby KawasakiZ650F1. » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:23 pm

I wonder if anyone might be able to help?

I have been a director of a business for 19 years but it's time for me to leave now and it's amicable

I have agreed a price for my shares to be bought (about £50k) but haven't agreed a notice period.

I am going into a new business which is currently my hobby buying and selling classic motorbikes

2 questions really.

What's the best way for the money to be paid to me to minimise tax? My new business is me as a sole trader VAT registered.

I wonder if it might be sensible to pay notice as redundancy as my role is no longer applicable and is not being replaced.

Any thoughts please?

GlobalTaxAdviser

Re: Tax on shares when director leaving

Postby GlobalTaxAdviser » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:38 am

This is a little complex as depending on the conditions the selling of shares could have income or capital tax implications. You could end up paying tax of only 10% if it comes under a capital transaction. Remember there is stamp duty too.

I assume the company is buying back the shares ?

The Shares have some value so saying this is redundancy payment may not work and would be misleading

I would suggest you do take advice and important to get the correct paper work drawn up too,

Kind Regards

GTA

Return to “Income Tax”