This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Is it possible for a person to cash out shares/currency in this scenario and not pay any CGT?

foxmccloud
Is it possible for a person to cash out shares/currency in this scenario and not pay any CGT?

Postby foxmccloud » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:29 pm

I was thinking about CGT and the following scenario occured to me. It all happens in the same year:

A person buys shares/ foreign currency. The price goes up a lot and they make £1 million. They then exchange a part of that holding for another share or currency. Thus they need to pay CGT. E.g. they made a gain of £100k after that sale. They owe £20k tax.

However then the price of the new asset falls a lot and then they sell this asset for another one (share or foreign currency again), and they now have a loss of £90k. This offsets the £20k tax they had to pay. They still have a loss of £70k I believe?

Now the price of the this third asset goes up and they want to cash it out or perhaps cash out a part of the original £1 million they earned. Can they offset what they gain with the £70k loss? E.g. they sell the asset for £50k GBP, do they not have to pay any CGT for that year?

foxmccloud

Re: Is it possible for a person to cash out shares/currency in this scenario and not pay any CGT?

Postby foxmccloud » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:38 am

I have realised that the above example is falwed. Please ignore it.

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”