This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Non-dom, Non UK resident - PET's

jacbjacb
Non-dom, Non UK resident - PET's

Postby jacbjacb » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:18 pm

I am a British Citizen who moved to New Zealand over 7 years ago

My UK status, is Non-Dom, Non resident.

My mother passed away in Aug 2017 having given me some financial gifts in the previous seven years.

She was UK resident and was UK Domiciled.

I cant see why I would be expected to pay UK IHT for a PET when I am Non-Dom, non resident.

Can anybody advise?

AdamS93

Re: Non-dom, Non UK resident - PET's

Postby AdamS93 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:25 am

You would pay IHT on any failed PETs.

This is because when considering IHT you look the the domicile of the 'transferor' (your mother) and not the recipient (yourself).

maths

Re: Non-dom, Non UK resident - PET's

Postby maths » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:55 pm

A gift between individuals is a PET. If the transferor dies within 7 years of making the gift an exposure to IHT arises. Whether an actual charge arises will depend upon the history of gifts the transferor has previously made. Thus it may be that the PET (if death within 7 years) falls within the transferor's nil rate band in which case no actual IHT charge arises.

If an actual charge does arise the primary liability to discharge the IHT is that of the donee (i.e. you).

As you live overseas collection by HMRC may prove difficult and should they fail they may turn to collect the tax due from the executors of the transferor's estate.

The charge arises because IHT is due on worldwide lifetime gifts and on death where the transferor is domiciled or deemed domiciled in the UK (irrespective of residence). Your status as donee is irrelevant.

Return to “Inheritance Tax, IHT, Trusts & Estates, Capital Taxes”