This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Stamp Duty and investing in commercial property

yamibone
Stamp Duty and investing in commercial property

Postby yamibone » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:52 pm

Hi there

Me and my wife are first time buyers and I am looking to invest in the property market. I am looking specifically at the commercial property sector and am looking to start a limited company to buy a portfolio of commercial (and possibly residential) properties in the future.

Me and my wife both have Help to buy ISA's and we would like to take advantage of the stamp duty rates when we buy our home in the next 2-4 years. But at the moment the priority is investing in a commercial property. The question is will we still retain first time buyer status if we buy commercial property (and what about commercial property if it has a flat above) and what would be the best way to take advantage of our first time buyer status as we would like to buy our first home in a few years but want to also invest in property right now?

maths

Re: Stamp Duty and investing in commercial property

Postby maths » Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:34 pm

Purchase of a commercial property would not preclude qualifying as a first time residential purchaser.

However, purchase of a mixed commercial/residential property would preclude qualifying as a first time buyer residential purchaser unless the purchase of the mixed property was effected by a company.

yamibone

Postby yamibone » Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:43 pm

Hi
So what you are saying is if I bought a mixed property through a limited company I would still be a first time buyer?

I understood your other point

maths

Postby maths » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:00 pm

That is my understanding.

Return to “Property Taxation”