This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Class 1 and 2 NIC in same tax Year?

ChrisH89
Class 1 and 2 NIC in same tax Year?

Postby ChrisH89 » Tue May 01, 2018 7:48 pm

Hi,

I recently became self employed on 5th March 2018, I was employed before this period and of course paid class 1 contributions.

For the period 5th March - April 5th 2018 I earned less than the £6,205. Can I just pay class 2 contributions for this approx. 2 weeks?

Are profits pro-rated (then I'd need to pay class 4)?

Chris

robbob

Re: Class 1 and 2 NIC in same tax Year?

Postby robbob » Wed May 02, 2018 5:26 pm

Can I just pay class 2 contributions for this approx. 2 weeks?
- yes there will be the tick box saying i want to pay voluntarily when you complete your tax return.
Note though any voluntary class 2 you do choose to pay will vanish from the face of the earth* on 31/1/2019 if you havent paid it by that date. It can be got back but ensure payment is made well before the deadline just in case.
Are profits pro-rated (then I'd need to pay class 4)?
Nope - no issues in that regard full years allowance is available

Can I just pay class 2 contributions for this approx. 2 weeks?
Note 5/3/18-5/4/2018 is closer to 4 weeks than 2 weeks

Return to “Business Tax”