This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Queries on Tax refund - is NI registration mandatory for Tier-2 Short Term ICT and on 52 weeks' exemption calculation

Jaya_020817
Queries on Tax refund - is NI registration mandatory for Tier-2 Short Term ICT and on 52 weeks' exemption calculation

Postby Jaya_020817 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:24 pm

Hi Team,

I've got the below queries regarding Tax refund filing, could you please throw some light on this.

1. Since I'm on Tier-2 Short Term ICT with my Visa expiring in Oct-2017, do I need to register for the NI to file for the return for this year?
2. If the answer to the above query is 'yes', if I register for the NI now and then come back say in Nov-2017 in Tier-2 Long Term ICT then my NI deductions will start after 52 weeks i.e. from Nov-2018, please confirm if this understanding correct?

Best Regards,
Jaya

AmanSood

Re: Queries on Tax refund - is NI registration mandatory for Tier-2 Short Term ICT and on 52 weeks' exemption calculatio

Postby AmanSood » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:51 pm

Given you are on a ICT visa I assume you are in employment in the UK. I'll also assume that you are from India hence why you are referring to the 52 week exemption? If so, during the first 52 weeks you do not pay any UK NIC and instead continue to pay social security in India. After this period, you will start paying NI in the UK. However, there's no requirement to register for this and your UK employer should automatically start withholding NIC via the payroll.
Advising on UK employment, expatriate and personal taxes
aman.sood@e-taxconsulting.com.
+44 (0) 207 846 0155

Daljeet

Re: Queries on Tax refund - is NI registration mandatory for Tier-2 Short Term ICT and on 52 weeks' exemption calculatio

Postby Daljeet » Wed May 02, 2018 10:30 pm

Hi Jaya
Have you got any correct information on this , same is the case with me.

Return to “PAYE and Payroll Taxes, National Insurance, NICs”