This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Private Ltd Co, Share Buy Back

SteeplejackMac
Private Ltd Co, Share Buy Back

Postby SteeplejackMac » Fri May 04, 2018 8:54 am

I owe my private limited company £50k on Director Loan A/C. I brought two of the 4 shares from a former partner in '96 for £23k each. Can I do a company share buy back of those two for £46k (ie. no profit) and thereby clear the DLA down to £4k without tax implications?

Further, could I inflate the value of that purchase (as the company is now worth much more) and then have the DLA owe me money, I can then draw down, tax free? (I think I'm allowed some cap. gains tax free).

Any help much appreciated - Rich

SteLacca

Re: Private Ltd Co, Share Buy Back

Postby SteLacca » Fri May 04, 2018 12:00 pm

The first thing to consider is whether or not the share buy back is actually a capital event. There's a statutory clearance procedure for company purchase of own shares, which should be followed before any action is taken.

SteeplejackMac

Re: Private Ltd Co, Share Buy Back

Postby SteeplejackMac » Fri May 04, 2018 1:01 pm

Thanks for your help SteLacca. Searching based on what you've said, this idea appears to be a total non-starter in my case, but thanks for your help.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/seeking-clearance-or-approval-for-a-transaction

Return to “Company Taxation”