This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Transfer rental property to spouse

spenpil
Transfer rental property to spouse

Postby spenpil » Tue May 15, 2018 1:43 pm

In a nutshell:
I own a rental property outright (no mortgage), which generates rental income of £12,000. The property is in my name alone. I am a 40% rate taxpayer, and my wife is a 20% rate taxpayer. I would like to transfer the rental income to my wife to take advantage of her lower tax rate.

I understand that benefit has to follow ownership, and therefore believe that I need to transfer part of the property to my wife, so that we can be set up as tenants in common with 99% of the rental income going to my wife, and 1% to me.

I've reviewed previous answers on this topic, and just want to make sure that the below is the correct process to follow:
1. Complete the Land Registry ‘transfer of part of registered title’ form TP1 to transfer part of the property to my wife
2. Set out the proposed share of ownership (i.e. 99%/1%) in a Declaration of Trust
3. File a Form 17 with HMRC within 60 days documenting the proposed share of income.

My questions:
- Is the above process all correct? Is there anything I've forgotten?
- Do I need a solicitor to help with the above forms? Would a conveyancing solicitor be best?
- Can this be reversed in future if, e.g. her pay increases, and there is no longer any reason to have the income in her name?

Many thanks in advance

pawncob

Re: Transfer rental property to spouse

Postby pawncob » Thu May 17, 2018 12:04 pm

Assets can be transferred at will between H & W, so no future problems.
Yes you can do it yourself, but don't expect any help from L.R.!!
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

Lee Young

Postby Lee Young » Thu May 17, 2018 2:04 pm

Form TR1 not form TP1
Lee Young
Solicitor, Chartered Tax Adviser and Trust and Estate Practitioner

Partner, Frettens LLP
lyoung@frettens.co.uk
01202 491701

spenpil

Postby spenpil » Fri May 18, 2018 10:08 am

Many thanks for replies! I will enlist the help of a solicitor.

Mrshare

Postby Mrshare » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:18 pm

I am interested in how this all went and if there is any advise you could give me as I am in exactly the same situation.

Return to “Property Taxation”