This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

CGT & SDLT liability relationship split

Hove81
CGT & SDLT liability relationship split

Postby Hove81 » Thu May 17, 2018 3:56 pm

Hi, after a bit of advice. Myself and my partner separated May 2017 (we were not married) and between us owned 3 properties 2 in joint names, 1 in his sole name. He now lives in one in his sole name and I live in 1 in joint names with our children. We are splitting the 2 joint properties so we have 1 each.

Property 1 - brought £197,000 original mortgage £167,500 now worth £325,000 now with £226,000 mortgage I am to keep this property and it will be transferred into my sole name

Property 2 -brought £319,995 now worth £375,000 with a mortgage of £222,000 this is rented out and my ex partner will keep this with the deeds being transferred into his name

Property 3 -sole name of ex he is keeping and giving me a settlement for funds I paid into the property

The settlement figure I will receive is between £95,000-£100,000. £27,100 for the price difference in the 2 properties and the rest in financial settlement for the amount of money I put into the house in his sole name.

My question is when we transfer the properties and I receive the money what taxes are due and who needs to pay what?

Many thanks

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”