This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Renting out a flat, can I claim capital allowance for a car?

trc
Renting out a flat, can I claim capital allowance for a car?

Postby trc » Thu May 17, 2018 5:20 pm

Hello,
I will be renting out my flat , which will be my only Income. I would be doing a SA , and declaring under Income from Property.I am planning on buying a car for travelling to the property meeting Tenants,repairs and general running around associated with the flat. I am planning on spending £12,000 on a car. As it is an expense, can I claim Capital Allowance for it ? If so what can I claim for? It would probably be used 50/50 Business/Pleasure
Thanks in advance.

AdamS93

Re: Renting out a flat, can I claim capital allowance for a car?

Postby AdamS93 » Fri May 18, 2018 9:09 am

You rent one property... there is no way on earth you will be able to justify 50:50 use. Probably struggle to justify 10% business use.

If I were you I would just keep a mileage log, and charge 45p per mile for the first 10,000 and 25p thereafter for all the journeys in relation to the property. Unless your property is at Lands end and you live in John O'Groats I can't see you having much travelling costs at all.

I have seen landlords with 20+ properties who only complete a few thousand business miles in a year - I think you're clutching at straws.

Return to “Property Taxation”