This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Self employed mileage

crystal67
Self employed mileage

Postby crystal67 » Mon May 21, 2018 7:47 pm

Looking for a bit of help!
I’m currently employed (not self employed) and live during the week at work. I return to my family home address at weekends and holidays.
I’m looking to start a secondary job, self employed, and will travel during the week to a different site to do this and return back to work address.
On a weekend I will also do the self employed work but will be back at my home address. Geographically the 2 addresses are not near but my self employment will take me to different locations. I use my own car.
How do I claim my mileage expenses? From where?

GlobalTaxAdviser

Re: Self employed mileage

Postby GlobalTaxAdviser » Tue May 22, 2018 9:38 am

I assume you will register as self employed

You can use either the total expenses or mileage method

Total Expenses you just all up all your car expense and proportion between business and personal. Mileage method you can claim 0.45p upto 10 miles and 0.25p over 10,000 miles

Maybe useful to use a mileage app if you are going to different places as just makes it easier to capture the mileage

PM if you need any suggestions for mileage apps

Thanks

GTA

crystal67

Postby crystal67 » Tue May 22, 2018 10:10 am

Thanks for your reply.
I’m not too sure on how the commuting rules will apply to me.
Will I be able to claim mileage from my work address in the week, where I stay, to my self employed jobs and from my home address to my self employed jobs at the weekend?

GlobalTaxAdviser

Postby GlobalTaxAdviser » Tue May 22, 2018 12:14 pm

Basically if the workplace is habitual i.e the same each time then it is not claimable as HMRC would deem it to be a permanent workplace. If you go to multiple places then it probably it is claimable

AdamS93

Postby AdamS93 » Tue May 22, 2018 12:57 pm

Looking for a bit of help!
I’m currently employed (not self employed) and live during the week at work. I return to my family home address at weekends and holidays.
I’m looking to start a secondary job, self employed, and will travel during the week to a different site to do this and return back to work address.
On a weekend I will also do the self employed work but will be back at my home address. Geographically the 2 addresses are not near but my self employment will take me to different locations. I use my own car.
How do I claim my mileage expenses? From where?
This worries me.

You don't claim back your mileage expenses. You get tax relief on them - i.e. they will reduce your taxable profits. No one will physically pay you 45p, especially not HMRC.

Return to “Business Tax”