This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Sale of flat that was originally bought with my late Mum

Sideline
Sale of flat that was originally bought with my late Mum

Postby Sideline » Wed May 23, 2018 4:54 pm

Advise please on the level of cgt I am going to have to pay on this sale.
Details
Bought flat for £44k in 2004 one third me and two thirds Mum (usual buying costs say £1000 shared)
Property rented out since then
Mum died 29/9/2011 and flat then valued at £95k
As sole heir I inherit her two thirds of flat.
Have just accepted offer of £133k today (Capital costs of 4k to bring it up to sale standard plus 2k costs to cover sol/agent fees)
Std tax payer hoping that I only have to pay 18% on the original third up to Mum's death and then 18% on the £38k since then less all allowances and expenditure.

Is that the correct understanding or am I in for a bigger shock!
Thanks in advance for any help.

maths

Re: Sale of flat that was originally bought with my late Mum

Postby maths » Thu May 24, 2018 10:17 am

The base cost to you will be the aggregate of your original contribution plus the probate value of the 2/3rds you inherited.

You are selling one asset (i.e. 100% of the property) not two assets.

No lettings or other relief available other than the annual exempt amount.

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”